When I used to think of 'elders' I would have a default picture in my head of a little old guy sat in the shade of a tree, dispensing wisdom to anyone willing to listen. A scenario that may be true in a small number of places in the world these days. More frequently, elders are shuffled away somewhere quiet so they can do little harm.
When creating the team that is at the centre of the Steele novels, I felt that the sagacity of years needed representation. I introduced a couple of older people there to dispense wisdom and moral standpoints where relevant.
When writing stories, the inclusion of wise counsel can add depth to the story and engage more readers. It allows people to empathise with the actions that are included in your writing. To agree or otherwise with the actions taking place.
The characters you introduce to play this role will come from your own life experiences. We have all known of or met this type of sage person and how we embody them into stories can be a fun exercise in itself.
God Bless

No comments:
Post a Comment