If you have read any of my work before, you will have observed that I believe in serendipity. Happy accidents, in short. Probably an oversimplification, but adequate for today. Such occurrences can supply moments that may be useful in your writing. If you have your power of observation fully activated as you go about, such moments will present themselves.
At
the time of writing it is August, school holidays in the UK, which influences traffic
flow in our towns and cities. I had to journey into Bradford,
something I do perhaps 2 or 3 times a year. Well, today was different. The
motorway and major roads were as busy as ever, but when I arrived at my
destination, it was as if Armageddon had occurred. Streets were deserted of
traffic and pedestrians; there were
parking places, and some businesses were boarded up. Really unusual but logical, as
some businesses close during August. But the atmosphere was bleak. 10.45 in the
morning, and it was quite chilling.
This
type of experience lends itself to imaginative descriptive writing and may fit
into a story you’re writing. It could
simply be a period of the day when deserted streets are usual, or something more
fanciful. I remember deserted places during Covid in 2019. What use you put it
to is up to you, but following my mother’s advice – don’t go about with your eyes shut!
God Bless

No comments:
Post a Comment