Monday, February 19, 2024

Writing - No Empty Heads

 Occasionally, I feel that there is nothing in my head. I'm thinking from a writing point of view. Some may say that, for me, this is a normal state of affairs. However, just consider your dreams and you will realise that this is never the case. Even if you're a person who rarely remembers dreams they occur every night maybe weakly and fleetingly, but there nevertheless. As I mentioned a few weeks back quite often these wanderings through your unconscious psyche create situations that you never actually experienced with people who may not exist or whom you have never met. These facts are the reason why I don't believe in writers' block. 





The most innocuous of situations can generate a wealth of ideas and it is part of the writer's process to filter the ideas and use those examples that feel useful. 

Recently, I saw an interview of a well-known sportsman who is supporting mental health charities but throughout that interview there was something that jarred with me. The sportsman could not say the word 'health' instead we were offered mental 'elf' repeatedly. 

FYI the failure to enunciate 'th' correctly on its own is not a speech impediment. All children fail to make this sound correctly early in speech development but eventually learn the correct way. 

This idea of 'mental elf' triggered my imagination and, eventhough I have no plans for using the term currently, I wanted to see a mental elf. I turned to AI which you can see one version above. The idea is developing and the following was produced. 


It may be that a poem is the result of these mental games that I've played or perhaps nothing at all but you can see that it isn't unusual in stories. Pinnochio had his Jiminy Cricket and Philip Pullman's Dark Materials used a similar idea but more fully developed in his trilogy. 

So give your imagination free rein and use the tools that are available, such as AI, to add muscle to your writing. 

God Bless 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing - Brainwashing

  One of the principles in George Orwell's 1984 is to keep repeating information even if it's incorrect. Eventually, if people hear ...