Monday, April 15, 2024

Writing - Evolving Language 2

 'Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and the highest form of intelligence.' 

 Whether you agree with that statement or not the one fundamental truth is that it is the use of language. As writers our trade is in the use of language. In the statements below by various notable people from the past there are examples of the clever use of language. I often wish that I was quick witted enough to come up with something equally clever and spontaneous, however, although that's not the case I do enjoy being involved with words and the meaning that they convey. 



There are lots of amusing people involved in comedy and entertaining and as humour is very personal I don't recommend any one above another but Rowan Atkinson is almost a compendium of the use of different language styles from his Mr Bean to the stand up comedy he produces us himself. 


 "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial. - Irvin S. Cobb

 "He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others. - Samuel Johnson

 "He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up. -  Paul Keating

 "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him. - Forrest Tucker

  "Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it? - Mark Twain

 "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork. - Mae West

 "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde

 "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination. - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

 "He has Van Gogh's ear for music. - Billy Wilder

 "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But I'm afraid this wasn't it. - Groucho Marx

 The exchange between Winston Churchill & Lady Astor

She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." 

He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it." 




Whenever you're writing take the time to calve the mental images you wish your readers to experience.

God Bless 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing - Brainwashing

  One of the principles in George Orwell's 1984 is to keep repeating information even if it's incorrect. Eventually, if people hear ...