Monday, June 10, 2024

Writing - Messages

 Throughout history, people who have written things down have often intended to convey messages to those who read their work. Sometimes, the message has to be concealed for the safety of the author; and sometimes, the message is subliminal to change the attitudes of the readers. In other instances, the message is political. 





Blurb 

The story is a speculative journey into a possible future that may lie ahead of us all. There is evidence that such a future may not be impossible. We have been warned that unless we increase the ability to produce electricity there could be power cuts in the next ten years. Our modern-day lives are permeated by the need for electricity and its production.
Although Cessation could be categorised as a dystopian story I find that rather a negative word and the purpose of writing the tale is to allow elements of hope in a seemingly desperate situation.
The story begins in 2023 a couple of years after the lights go out for the last time. Our group of survivors are thrown together on a farm in the low Pennines north of the M62 motorway and within striking distance of several northern towns which could prove useful for supplies. Initially, the group is small and lives on a farm called Serendipity but as time passes the size of the group waxes and wanes for a variety of reasons. 

This story of mine I published in 2013. At the time there were predictions that we in the UK were likely to suffer power cuts in the near future. Perhaps I should have set the date in 2084. Although, I had my reasons at the time. If memory serves me correctly the predicted date was 2025! 

I wrote the story, which was a departure from the Steele novels that I was writing at the time. The political furore at the time inspired me to produce the story and I remember feeling that it had to be written immediately. In one sense it was a message in its entirety. It allowed me to have a shot at the inefficiency of the government. I even included 'evidence' from various articles published at the time. 


The Author





God Bless 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Poetry Thursday 46 - Moon's a Balloon

  Some describe people who behave slightly differently as being ruled by the moon.  History suggests we all are.  Where do you fit?  The Moo...